I have labeled this as a philosophical post and not any other, because, science talks about facts and ideas which can be argued with evidence. But this subject is little hypothetical and can not be proved with facts, hence I am trying to rely on philosophical inputs.
Lets take a shanti mantra from Vedas:
पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदम् पूर्णात् पूर्ण्मुदच्यतॆ
पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमॆवावशिष्यतॆ
That (Brahman) is whole. This (Creation) is also whole.
From That Whole (i.e. Brahman Only), this whole has come out (Creation)But even though this whole has come, out of that whole, yet that whole remains whole only(i.e. Brahman remains unaffected. Retains His fullness and completeness.)
I have taken the above meaning from one of the books. The meaning of the above mantra looks very vague and confusing. But if calmly read, one can derive many truths from this mantra.
- Completeness of God: God is the one who created this world, or in other words this Whole world has been derived from God. As per our knowledge, this world is complete. So 'complete' has been derived from God who is again complete. But that does not affect Him.
- The line 'पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमॆवावशिष्यतॆ' is very curious. According to Arithmetic, if you subtract X from X, what remains is ZERO. But according to this mantra, if full is removed from full, what remains is again full. Mathematics can not answer this, because in Mathematics, Full is indeterminate. But if I equate Mantra with what Arithmatic has taught me, I can conclude, ZERO is FULL
Now, Lets us observe some of our day to day activities that shows similarities between Fullness and Nullness:
- At the end of session or a class, no questions will be asked by persons who completely understood it and who did not understand a bit of it.
- Old man behaves like a child. He becomes very sensitive, wants everyone's attention etc.
- Atheist and a Brahma Jnani, who understands real God, both behave in a very similar fashion. Atheist does not think about God; Brahma Jnani, understands that everything is God, he himself is God and he does not worry about God too much after that.
- Only two who are happy in this world are: The richest man and the poorest man. For the former, there is everything and he does not have to worry, for the later, there is nothing to worry about.
- Totally transparent object can become opaque in certain angle, due to Total internal reflection. So transparency and opaqueness are also not too far.
- We feel frustrated, if our brain nothing to do (Joblessness) or it is full of thoughts (Hectic Work)
- There is a saying in Kannada "ಅತಿಯಾದರೆ ಅಮೃತವೂ ವಿಷದಂತೆ": Meaning: Excess of Nector becomes poison
- Another saying "ಅತಿ ವಿನಯಂ ದೂರ್ತ ಲಕ್ಷಣಂ": Meaning: Too mild person will be cruel from other end
There are many more examples and experiences in the same line. Please share to prove that Fullness and Nullness are not too far..