Sunday, July 06, 2008

Trip to Nagarahole - Coorg

The plan: It was just routine work and both of us were tired like hell. We first decided that we are going out somewhere, and I decided myself that this time we are going in our car. First choice was Chikmagalur. Thimmi's colleague had recently gone there and enjoyed a lot itseems. She expressed that we go there. The place where they stayed was Nature Nirvana. I called for accommodation for weekend of 27-29 Jun. It was not available. I asked for the next weekend, even though it was available I did not book because I realized that it was heavily raining and roads are very bad during this season.

So the next choice was Coorg. After a lot of research on net I found this blog post, which talks about South Coorg and beautiful drive inside jungle. I was more excited about drive within jungle that anything else. More over the place was very well situated, which is amidst, Nagarahole, Waynad, Kuruwa, Irpu and complete jungle. I also got the Estate Stay information from the same blog post and called them and got the accommodation and booked for 2 days. Land Lady insisted me to deposit 50% amount into the specified SBI account. I did the same and got confirmation the accommodation.

Accommodation Details: 

Chilligeri Estate
P.O. Box – 167, Manchally Village & Post,
Kutta, S. Kodagu. Pin – 571 250.
Ph : 08274 – 244265. Mobile : 94485 82496.
Contact : Mr. T. T. Somaiah / Mrs. Banu

Tariff  - Rs. 1000/- Per person per day.

Other good places to stay is The Jade. This place also very near to Chilligeri and better than it. I did not get accommodation there. The rate was also almost same.

The preparation:

As I was driving this time, I wanted to be more cautious of routes. I did research on Google Maps and found the complete route till Chilligeri estate in Kutta from my home. I got all the printouts highlighting major land marks on the maps. I really started loving Google Maps after that. I could trace all the roads even within Jungle on the Google Maps. Another risk I had anticipated was - Plan was to start very early in the Friday morning like around 5 AM, so that traffic is very less and I don't miss the entire day. In that early morning I would not get much people in the jungle to ask for the routes if I miss. Find my entire route document below:

Other than the route, a lot of planning was made. I had already serviced my car and checked all the tyres and made it full tank. I know it was a rainy season and took good jackets and very importantly 2 umbrellas and a torch. Made sure both of us have both slippers and trek shoes and warm clothing. Took 5 Lts of water cans. Charged my camera, handy cam and cell phones.

Keep tuned to this blog to see more on following

Story Board:

Drive into Nagarahole -> Chilligeri Estate ->Irpu Falls -> Waynad (Kuruva, Tirunelli) -> Talakaveri -> Madikeri/Kushalanagar

8 comments:

Shashi said...

Wov, how much of preparation!!! It will be a guide for ppl like me:). Can't wait for more....
Drive in the jungle sounds amazing.

Shashi said...

Wov man...Your route document is so detailed. You have even mentioned landmarks one gets if one gets lost!! I can imagine how adventurous it had been!!

Karthik CS said...

Thanks kano. Yes It was indeed very adventurous..

Prashanth M said...

buy a GPS device.. that will be more helpful.. to both - you & us (the readers ;)

thanks for the plethora of info :)

Rakesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rakesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rakesh said...

this is one of the leading national park in india. this park in the border of coorg and mysore. tigers population pretty well in this national park. And I searched this info for the readers here > > Nagarahole National Park

Anoop Sankar said...

Excellent blog writing. Thanks for our information. Hey, would like to share my experience of my travel to Coorg. I stay at Bangalore and decided to enjoy the scenic beauty of KERALA by visiting, Coorg, Kannur and Wayanad. RingCab.com [ http://www.ringcab.com ] , helped me to realise my dream. They are amazing, too customer friendly, thought of sharing good useful info my fellow travellers.